Friday, March 19, 2010

Dogs are family too



Today is NOT a good day for the Orr family.  Our first children--the dogs--are having some lifechanging experiences going on right now. 

About a week ago, Boz (the Mastiff) took a snap at Kenwood. Ummm...SCARY!  This dog is 120 pounds and could KILL an adult male with those teeth--I realize that he has anxiety and jealousy toward Kenwood, but that is not acceptable in this household.  So, while we have had many many many tears over this issue, Dillon and I decided to find a home for him.  Did I mention how hard I cried? I truly think that God loves dogs equally as much as humans, because He found Boz a home that is far better than ours!  Boz will have a new brother and sister to play with on 2 acres and will be an inside dog.  His new brother is also a Mastiff and they are only a few months apart, so they are bound to be best friends.  His new "Dad" literally brought me to tears with how much he immediately cared for Boz and treated him like part of their family.  We could not be happier with the new life he is going to have and we can even visit him whenever we want! It's such a blessing!  Today is Boz's last day at home until he goes to his new family.  It is bittersweet, to say the least.  We're going to miss him greatly.

So, as if it wasn't bad enough that we are having to give away one of our family members-we find out today at the Vet that Owen (the Boxer) has heartworms. Just to top off the anxiety he's going to have when his brother doesn't come home.....Um, thanks God-I know You have some plan in order, but I'd like to know it ahead of time so I don't literally break into thousands of pieces!  This issue with Owen is an even tougher decision because Owen has been through so much pain in the last few years after his car accident, hip replacement, and lately his anger at the world because of the pain in his hip-and likely the pain from the heartworms.  But, he is a strong and mighty dog and if any dog can survive this-we think he can.  It's a matter of the pain that is killing me.  I can't bear to watch him suffer but I can't bear to lose him either.  We were thinking of getting Owen another playmate if he had a tough time losing Boz...but now that might not be an option because he won't be able to handle the excitement.  This is a decision that has God written all over it.  I give up- He can tell us what is best for our little angel.  Lots of prayers going on today.  I really should pray this much on a regular basis, it is so reassuring talking to God this often.



Boz as a puppy getting to know his new big brother Owen

Boz and Owen during the house remodel at our new house

1 comment:

  1. This breaks my heart for you guys! I saw on Dillon's facebook about finding a home for Boz. I'm glad to hear its going to be a great place for him. The photo of them both looking out the window is so freakin' precious. Hugs Cara!

    ReplyDelete

background

Followers