Friday, March 26, 2010

Drama King: Terrible Two's came 6 months early...

So, I have always heard about the "Terrible Two's"--I am sincerely hoping that Kenwood has just developed this "syndrome" early and it's not just going to get worse.  We are having some serious trouble with throwing fits.  And I'm talking, dramatic fits where he throws himself on the ground in a fake cry when I take something away from him that he shouldn't play with or when I tell him he's not aloud to RUN across the couch, or he can't use Owen for a stepstool to get on the couch, etc. etc.  And it's not like I'm not nice about the "No's".  The conversation usually goes something like this:  "Come here please sir..that is not a toy.  Can you share it with Mommy?" And then I take it away-and the Drama King comes to life.  Yes, I call my son Sir. Along with, Mister, Captain, and Boss.  Don't judge me. It's a mental thing...I do it to my husband too.  It's one of those, "let him believe he's right, even though we all know he's wrong" type of things. But Dillon, honey, don't worry I really do believe you're usually right.....(in your own far off fairytale world).

So, back to Wood the Drama King. I don't even know where to start.  I can't really spank him--which I've tried, so obviously I'm not the type of mother that is against spanking when it's necessary (and with boys I'm sure it will be necessary at some point because boys tend to not rationalize)--because if I try to spank him he laughs.  Now, I know why kids always "pretended" like the spank hurt because it just pisses your parents off even more when you laugh! So, spanking isn't really working...and he's too young for time-out because he doesn't understand it...and I don't like to raise my voice at him because I feel like maybe thats where he has learned to yell during these infamous "fits" he's been throwing. So, this is one of those parenting moments where I feel like I'm SINKING....hopefully someone will throw me a lifevest soon and help me fix this little problem. 

1 comment:

  1. We are right there with you!!! Why do you think lil miss pris got thrown out of the nursery at church last sunday??

    ReplyDelete

background

Followers